Thursday, December 8, 2011

12/7/11 - Two-Hour Delay - FAIL (1-3)

A horrible start to the year's predictions so far.  Apparently this storm just didn't materialize and even where it snowed, it didn't stick.  Silly me...Dorshimer's probably got a better record already.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

12/7/11 - Two-Hour Delay

I was hoping this would be an open and shut Two-Hour Delay, however forecasts are not very consistent with this storm.  Since we seem to be on an outer edge, we're less likely to get the higher snowfall amounts in the "1-3" or "coating to an inch" predictions.  You'll also see more snow on the grass than the roads.  Based on past precedent however, I will reluctantly predict that tomorrow we'll have a TWO-HOUR DELAY.  There's really no chance of a closing, so plan on coming in tomorrow, and be safe on the roads.  Whether we delay or not, the roads will be slick and you can't predict the actions of other drivers.

Friday, October 28, 2011

10/28/11 - Rare October Snowstorm???

So normally I wouldn't post about this, since it won't affect the school's schedule at all, but...I couldn't resist putting my own thoughts out there.

Yup...looks like we'll be getting at least 2 inches (on the grass).  There are a lot of forecasts, ranging from 2 inches up to 8 inches.  CAUTION when reading forecasts: NOAA is saying up to 10 inches in the watch area - don't be misled - the watch area includes the Poconos which usually gets more snow (higher elevation).  The wet snow will probably come mostly at night, so be careful on the roads if you're traveling then.

The first snow is usually overblown (in my humble opinion), and it looks like it'll mix with rain, so I'll say that we'll get 3 inches on the grass, with some messy slush on the roads.  It'll be a wet snow, too.  That means it won't last that long, so get out there quickly if you want some snowballs.  This will likely be a record breaker, since the largest snowfall in October was 2.4" in 1940.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Result: Incorrect - No Closing OR delay (1-2)

I was very surprised this morning to find that we didn't even have a delay, but I guess if you give the flood waters 12 hours to drain into the bigger rivers, it allows most of the roads to reopen.  Also, the ride in to Pequea was uneventful and didn't even see much flooding. 

I'll stick to predicting snow days...more to come in December!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

9/8/11 - No School Tomorrow (Friday)

Looks like the flooding is expected to continue even into tomorrow morning, making travel very very difficult. Also, there's the fact that the flood warning says that this is a "life-threatening" situation, at least until the warning is lifted at 9:15am tomorrow.  I guess there's a slight possibility of a two-hour delay, but I think the districts will err on the side of caution.  80-20 chance of no school, so I'm predicting no school tomorrow.


Only two weeks into the school year and I'm already 1-1.  I predicted previously that Hurricane Irene would not delay the first day of school.  I was not surprised, but also lucky in the sense that there was not a power outage in Kinzers, which were more prevalent elsewhere.

Now, this morning, because of the remnants of Hurricane Lee interacting with Hurricane Katia, we've gotten at least 5 in. of rain, causing road flooding.  I'm not sure if getting in 2 hours later will help the flooding, but I guess we'll see!  Looks like the delays are pretty much county wide.