Wednesday, December 13, 2017

1-3 inches?

Not enough of a guarantee of snow, most sources are calling for 60% chance of less than an inch.  I’ll bet NO DELAY TOMORROW, but you are more than welcome to keep your hopes up as it is still possible, if unlikely.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

A second 2-hour delay?

I hear speculation that we may get another 2-hour delay tomorrow.  While I think it's certainly understandable and possible, given the condition of the roads this morning, I also consider the winds tonight won't even be half as strong, and I suspect MOST of the blowable snow will have been blown already, hence I predict NO 2-HOUR DELAY TOMORROW. But still be vigilant on the roads.  They will not be completely ok. 50-50 chance here.

Monday, March 13, 2017

About a foot?

Looking around, there are a LOT of forecasts calling for more than a foot, but I'm thinking we'll get around a foot.  Without digging around too much (too busy migrating docs, YouTube, sites, and Blogger), I'm going to predict NO SCHOOL TUESDAY, NO SCHOOL WEDNESDAY, DELAY THURSDAY.  I'm locked into Tuesday, and will change Wednesday's only if we have a super bust of this storm.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

4-8" of snow?

Since yesterday, I’ve said this will be at least a delay.
What is making me think it will be a cancellation? Timing…snow will end around the end of a delay, temperatures will keep dropping, 4-8” of snow will be tough to clear, it’s pretty defensible to call off of school when some teachers might get 10” of snow.
What is making me think it will be just a delay? It’s been warm, so the roads should be easier to clear, wet snow means no drifting, I really want it to be just a delay, Eric Horst says this is a tough call, anywhere from 1” – 10”.
In the end, I predict we will have NO SCHOOL TOMORROW, 60-40 odds.
Additionally, but not officially, I predict the schools will probably call the delay tonight, and call the cancellation in the morning.

Monday, January 30, 2017

It's snowing

Yup, it's snowing, but it's just a passing snow squall, and we're likely to get less than an inch of snow overnight.  I'm calling NO DELAY TOMORROW.

Monday, January 23, 2017

slushy stuff tomorrow?

After getting defeated by the weather by that surprise delay last Monday, making me 3-1, I've been hearing some thinking that there will be a delay tomorrow due to slushy stuff being possible at higher elevations in the county. While I bet some snow will be present around Welsh Mountain, I don't think it'll be enough to delay, even given our current skiddish-ness toward snow.  NO DELAY TOMORROW is my prediction.

Thursday, January 5, 2017

0.5" - 3" tomorrow...

This one is really difficult to pin down.  The national sources are saying 1-3” while local sources are saying closer to 1”, which is right on the border of what I would say is delay worthy.  Temperatures will stay low and keep the snow frozen until roads are treated, but it’s not a lot to treat for.  Looking in the history books, when there wasn’t any freezing rain or other mess and only an inch, there were not delays (typically), and perhaps this one is getting overblown being the first of the new year. Sooooo…..I’m going to call NO DELAY TOMORROW, with fair to low confidence.